Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Friday, July 16, 2004

Just re-read my post from yesterday and now I'm thinking, For God's Sake Woman. All these wishes to write and to do more LIVING but the records show you're just doing the same freelance thing for months. After reading Nickel and Dimed about others' struggles, I have been more mindful of what I have, and since a dr. appt. today I've been thinking that I need to get going with things. Move forward. Jump. Make better use of my time. Be the mapmaker.
 
I spent a weekend years ago hiking in eastern MA with a wonderful friend. She and I talked our lives through while exploring forest paths. When we got back to her house, she wrote out on a small piece of paper her own way of handling the world:
 
A Goal
A Plan
A Date
Make It Happen
 
She gave the paper to me, and I carry it every day. And now that I read it again, I see that I have been avoiding this third point. A date is a scary thing. It means there will be change at a very specific point in time, and I suck at change. And I so like where I am right now. But a date, yes, I see. It is necessary to set one, else how will things go? I'll be looking at the blog in a year, having thought it was only a few months ago when I wrote this, and seeing how my life has kept on around me without my moving at all. And then I'll take a breath and it will be even later and I'll wish I had set a date and made thing happen, and undoubtedly by then my life as it is before me now will no longer exist for me to move into. And that's not something I can allow.
 
So there it is. A date. Something specific. Let's see how that goes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter