Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Earlier today my husband's friend popped over to use our Internet access to take care of some things, and when he walked into the place, he saw that I was busy at work. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was something to the effect of "Ah, you're working again" or "You're always busy at it" ... something like that. "Yep," I said. "I didn't get a lot done yesterday. Took some time off, so here I am."


Now, I am not writing this to pick on him or call him out specifically. He is one among many, many people who comment when they see me or call me that I am always working. What interests me is what it means, what is beneath these words.


I guess I am fascinated/always looking for/interested in metamessages because I am a born English major/writer (or is it the other way around?). I hunt out symbols in good writing and movies like a bloodhound. I trace themes and motifs automatically. So why not be on the alert for metamessages in everything?

I admit I should chill. But today I've been thinking about this regarding my work.

Of course, not everyone comments like this. My friend D is always supporting me to get as much done as I can, but I am sure she wants me to balance things out too (I am sure with a trip very soon to see Baby Mama!!!) But enough people do.

Sometimes I think that they are saying that my working all the time makes them feel less than productive and guilty about it. Are they jealous of my ability to make money whenever I am able to sit down and work? Are they masking a plea for me to get away from the computer and enjoy my weekend by relaxing/exercising/reading? Do they think I am wasting my life in a blaze of editing and I should go smell some roses? Who knows.

It's not possible to explain to someone who does not freelance that the clients do not care when you work, they just want the material done right and back by deadline. I mean, it's possible, but they can't live it and understand. In this economy, I am just grateful to be needed by my clients for all the projects they send to me. Seriously, I count my blessings almost every day and work hard to make them happy.

I guess I should just do what I need to do for me and try not to dwell on it. Right now I need to work each time I get an opportunity when my schedule allows. Bills to pay, money to save, future to plan. I'm very happy with how things are, so that should count for something, right? In the meantime, I'll see when the next comment comes. Maybe a look in the eye will give that metamessage away.

4 Comments:

  • At Mon Apr 28, 09:19:00 AM, Blogger Malcolm XYZ said…

    So is this a happy, kind of "i'm so into this" kind of work, or just a "I really need to get this done or I'm in trouble" kind of work. If it's the former, work away. I once saw on a T-shirt, of all places, something to the effect "everyone committed to and engaged in what they are doing is beautiful." Sort of never fogot it either, although can rarely achieve it either, at least and get paid for it.

    what Prog bands do you like? I am a pretty big progster myself

     
  • At Mon Apr 28, 03:22:00 PM, Blogger dougalfish said…

    This is a regular argument at our house. My work gets done (and any other jobs I need to do - like posting letters, going to the bank, grocery shopping, etc.) in the 2 1/2 hours my son is at nursery on weekdays and grandparents step in 2 afternoons a week (sometimes I can get a Saturday too). My husband can't wait to get home to a cooked dinner and some relaxing time in front of the TV with his wife. I can't wait for him to get home so he can handle dinner, bath and bedtime and I can squeeze in 4 hours of work in the evening.(This is where we clash) Still I usually only clock up about 20 hours work a week. I think it was quite telling when we had the minor but unexpected earthquake here a couple of months ago the chat on the forum for the Society for Editors and Proofreaders contained observations of many who were still up and working at the time (it was just after 2am).

     
  • At Mon Apr 28, 09:56:00 PM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    Availability to work + meeting deadlines + top-notch work and professional dealings = maximum utility to a provider of freelance jobs. It's not as easy for many nonfreelance workers — for whom work is recurrent or assigned and is there to pick up and continue each day — to perceive that equation.

    The guest's comment may have been delivered in the same way some folks have the weather as a go-to topic when they're too nervous or surprised to talk about something deeper or more honest: "I don't know how to react to someone who frequently works outside of the 9-to-5 that I do, so I will just mirror verbally what I see and hope she throws me a conversational rope."

    I say work as much as you can until you need to take a break and don't ever feel bad about stopping to recharge the battery ... which might require an hour or a week, depending on how crazy the jobs were. You make a fine point about today's economy. There's no guarantees. Six months ago our artists were told they couldn't use in-house freelancers anymore (we had two permatemps doing layout). A month later, two art directors, including the one who'd delivered this news, were laid off. If you've got paying clients, even as the financial seers spread gloom, by all means lay in the acorns now.

    And hell, if you enjoy the work, all the more reason to let the jobs flow in!!

     
  • At Sun May 11, 07:53:00 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Sorry everyone ... I will comment on your comments soon. My damn computer is dying and who knows when I'll get a decent replacement. For now its work on an old system and Internet on R's Mac!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter