Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

dougalfish recently wrote a day in the life, and I thought it was neat! Here is a recent day in the life:

* Wake at 6:45 when hubby wakes, fall back asleep.
* Wake at 7:40 when hubby kisses me good-bye for work, fall back asleep.
* Jump out of bed at 8:30 – overslept! Shower, grab Mini-Wheats cereal. Eat while starting the proofing of a nonfiction book.
* Get email from hubby at 9:50 about a YouTube cat video. I watch it and it’s amusing, but I am not fond of cats; he and his group love cats.
* Turn on WFUV streaming online at 10 a.m. Keep proofing.
* Hubby emails me about going to dinner with his parents at 10:15. Then keep proofing.
* Phone rings: I check caller ID; it’s telemarketing so I let it go to machine. Keep proofing.
* Get cantaloupe pieces from fridge for snack at 10:23. On way back to computer, turn on tub faucet to a trickle for the cat because he likes to drink from moving water (and thus another reason why cats are a pain in the ass). Eat melon while proofing.
* Rock out to old R.E.M. song on radio at 10:35. Check clock and notice I am running behind on work and start to freak out! Keep proofing.
* My friend D calls for 4 min. at 10:51. Keep proofing.
* Done with proofing at 11:25. Recount the pages I have left in this project and realize I must increase my sessions by 11 pages each day to finish on time! Freak out a bit.
* Start allotted fiction proofreading at 11:29.
* Finish fiction proofing at 12:38. Get up to make veggie sandwich for lunch. Walk by the bathroom and realize that I never turned off the faucet trickle that the cat was drinking from. Shut off faucet and then make lunch. Eat while watching Match Game on GSN.
* Start editing allotted romance novel pages at 1:38.
* Phone rings at 2:09: I ignore another sales call.
* My sis calls at 3:32. We chat until 3:47.
* Get e-mail at 3:48 from a client asking for hours spent on earlier project; I email back.
* Finish editing romance at 4:00.
* Start editing allotted children’s book pages at 4:03.
* Hubby gets home at 5:12. Stay focused for one minute, and finish editing at 5:13.
* Talk to hubby from 5:13 to 5:20, when he gets a call from his sister.
* Check all email accounts, CE Listserv messages at 5:20.
* Check LinkedIn, job post Web sites at 5:30.
* Get ready and go out to dinner with in-laws and hubby.


Now, this is not actually a “typical” day because normally I would work from 6 p.m. to whenever we eat dinner, which is around 8 p.m. Also, I had broken up a lot of projects into little bits and tried to get a lot done on many things this day; normally I might spend a day on only two clients. I think I’ll do another “typical” day next month and see how it compares. :)

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Mar 26, 06:24:00 PM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    The part about having to set up an H2O drip for the cat has been making me smile for a week. :) Not that I'm volunteering to cat-sit.

     
  • At Thu Mar 27, 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Oh! And he was really looking forward to some time away! :) No, I don't blame you for being kitty free. Although most of the day he sleeps, hooray for me.

     
  • At Thu Mar 27, 08:14:00 PM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    Ahhhh, the building department told me I needed a bed & breakfast license if I wanted to open a kitty hostel. Finks.

    I actually did not know that factoid about the cat prior to reading your post. I did know an Abyssinian who could be intrigued by a thin stream from a faucet, which he would bat with his tawny paw for minutes on end. Thinking you were gonna turn on the faucet for him, he'd follow you into the loo. I'd be like, "I think I can manage on my own here."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter