Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

I've made the decision to keep a notebook of the time I spend on each project for the next few months so I can track myself and know what each client looks like in the end. Although I do keep track of work time for billing purposes, I retain the paper only until the invoice goes out and then the details are gone. Over and over I read in freelance forums and on sites that as a freelancer I should and must know exactly what time I have to do what projects and how much time each thing takes me. Well, I have an idea, but I can't be sure on some things. I just know I get things done. This will become rather important later in the year when I will need to know exactly which work I could get done in however much time I have.

I've also been struggling with the "work I like to do but doesn't pay much" versus "work I should acquire from offered sources that pays more but would be dry all day." So far I've done a bit of this and that all day each day to keep a balance, but I may have to be much more discerning about what I do. I think I'll put off this decision until later in the summer, after I take some courses on higher level editing, and I'll see if I feel I could move to all dry but better paying work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter