Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. For a few days I was able to complete my work early in the afternoon and then I cleaned and organized the place for the rest of the day. I got to a couple movies and ate that really-good-but-bad-for-you popcorn. We even went to the shore, where I walked (well, teetered around) on the beach, ate boardwalk ice cream and pizza, got crushed in air hockey, and then made two holes-in-one at mini-golf and won the free game for a perfect shot at the end. :)

Now I am back to a full workload, so there goes that. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be busy. But in comes the careful breakdown schedule, where I map out every minute of my day, actually get up before 8, and stay up as late as possible (which is hardly late these days). I've even decided to cast off my morning routine for now: my typical trip on the net from advice columns to job sites to publishing news to entertainment pages to other blogs. This takes more time than I've got. Bugger.

The problem is, no matter how much work I have, some things will not wait. The organizing must proceed. Garbage bags must be filled. Web sites must be visited and shopping must be completed. Houses must be walked through and considered. Dinner must be cooked. (Sadly, I've taken over this duty for now as the real writer in the family works on multiple real projects for real publication with real due dates.)

What is that sound? Ghastly.

Oh. That's just me hyperventilating.

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Aug 01, 06:40:00 AM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    Your busy status gives me hope in case I tell my current employer to stick it where sun fears to venture. But I do realize you worked hard and long to develop your client base, and that such levels of incoming work won't happen overnight for a new freelancer. Still, it makes me think.

    I admire your mini-golf fu. Whatever the maximum score one can make in the game, I usually shoot that + 10 strokes. It's not a handicap as much as a vegetative state.

     
  • At Fri Aug 01, 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Yes, there is much hope. It's just linking up with a few steady clients, and with your experience and connections I am sure that you would be able to get a good base going if you wanted to try it. The great thing is that, if after a set time the level of work is not where you want it, working in an office again is always an option.

    I was in the zone that day! We were behind a large family and had to wait for each hole, which made me go slow and focus. And the holes were pretty basic in structure. But still I feel rather proud. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter