Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Monday, May 29, 2006



Spent the day in Piermont and Nyack, walking in the sun, taking in the Hudson and the local shops. I think I got a bit burned, but it was well worth it. Very relaxing.


Piermont had few shops open, but the walk was invigorating. Took time to think about the men and women in uniform, those at home now, those who have fought before, and I am grateful.


We ate lunch at our favorite Nyack cafe (complete with fresh lemonade), then hit the nearby used bookstore. I bought an old text for $3.95 called Latin Made Simple by Rhoda A. Hendricks, M.A.

Back Cover: "Latin Made Simple is a modern, astonishingly effective presentation of a great classical language, organized in a self-teaching method that is unexcelled for the student who must study alone."

Inside Intro: "[Latin] is the thread which connects us with our own history; and when such a thread snaps it severs our relationship to our own past. ... It will seem to you as though the author had at all points anticipated your interests, had guessed your needs with uncanny accuracy, had predicted the questions you would ask at the instant those questions were forming in your mind. ... It is intended for anyone with lively curiousity and active intelligence."

(I had always wondered what had severed my relationship to my past, and now I know. See why I had to get this text?? So cool that the author is like my own personal language psychic.)

The bookstore looked like the owner used a shoehorn to set the stock. Each time we shop there, we find less space to walk about and a forced closer inspection of the book spines, as they ripple out randomly from the shelves. This is just one "walkway."


We finished the day at my parents for dinner and a night of trivia questions; my mom won hands down! And I think her garden beats the ones in Piermont.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter