Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Okay, something strange is going on ...

I just started editing a romance manuscript that I felt would be similar in style to a book I edited a while ago, so I am using the style sheet template from that previous book and updating it as I go on this new romance.

I get to the name of a California restaurant and I check the name (I'm not familiar with it because I am an east coast gal, of course) and I go to type it on the style sheet, and then I see that it is already on the sheet from the last book, and it was on the exact same MS page number as the last book.

SPOOKY!!!

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 10, 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    That is deeply creeply.

    I don't like it when these machines do any more thinking than I need them to. In the magazine on which I work, Word took it upon itself to change the drug name orlistat to or list at. Three perfectly legitimate words from one, just because of how the drug name could be divided into syllables.

    It survived spell check in Word and Quark and was only found when my former boss proofed the final copy. Whew!

     
  • At Sun Feb 10, 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Well of course we all know that Word is omniscient! It's always good to have lots of eyes looking at things, and I guess that is why!! Good thing you're not reporting on something called the "methismy drug"

     
  • At Sun Feb 10, 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    Uh oh, we actually have a crystal meth article in the works! We'll have to bring in the proofreading reserves!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter