Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

When it is late at night and I am not quite ready to go to bed but I don't want to get involved in work or reading a novel, I troll the net for all things freelance and editing related. But I am disappointed by the lack of blogs and cool sites devoted specifically to freelance copy editors. I have listed some good sites in my links lists on the right side of this blog. Almost every other site I find talks of freelance writing or freelance Web design or freelance graphics ... things that don't relate to what I want to focus on here, topics that don't hold my interest most of the time.

I suppose I could add freelance writing to my business plan, but I don't write in that sense. I much prefer working with text that is already written. I wonder if freelance writing is just "where it's at," where most people find they make the most money, or if it's more common because it can become a first freelance business without the same "style manual" application experience.

I'm fine with what I do and what I make right now. At least, I think I am. Let's see what happens with this first tax return. *crosses fingers that quarterly payments were enough*

... and that's what grinds my gears. Tom?

1 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 23, 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    Hmmmmmm. . . .

    What would one have to do to set up one of those pieces of bulletin board software, like vBulletin or FusionBB (to include links to two examples of said forums), and start a forum for copy editors? Dedicated solely to their concerns, the ups and downs of the freelance editing life, possible job leads, style assistance, humorous anecdotes, etc. If such a resource doesn't yet exist — the only one I can think of is Testy Copy Editors, unless that copy editing mail list has a forum somewhere — you might have that space all to yourself.

    I guess you'd have to license the software (or go for a free one), decide how much control users will have over their environments, maybe register a URL, set a moderation policy, determine whether you'll actually allow jobs to be offered to users, whether you'll have the obligatory offtopic board for people to rant, and such and such.

    I also assume one might be able to attract ad revenue via advertisers of copy editing resources, time management software, Amazon book recommendations, Google, etc., to at minimum pay for the software/updates and DNS fees. For this you'd have to be up on measuring forum visits, traffic, etc. I am nearly completely ignorant of such things, but someone must be teaching folks how to do this.

    Hmmmmmmmm. . . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter