Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The first day of 2008, and so far it hasn't been exactly what I anticipated. I got up at noon (unheard of for me!) after staying up until 3:30 a.m. engaged in a long trivia game battle. I've done a little editing and some net surfing, I've been tailoring my eating to fit my "healthy, fewer calories" model for the new year, and I've been trying to ignore the TV, as my husband flips between The Honeymooners and Twilight Zone marathons in the other room.

In about an hour, I am taking over the chef duties by preparing a black bean soup for dinner. I still want to finish at least one freelance project (due Friday) and do some personal writing; if that all gets done, I'll feel good (and especially so if the soup turns out well).


I don't really do resolutions, but here are some goals for the new year:

1. Stick to a set work time. This will mean I start work at the same time each day and try to stop around the same time. R and I both know that I will have large projects that flow over at times, but the goal is to keep my work within 9 hours a day.

2. Increase my productivity. I am great for surfing the net, blogging, reading, etc., when I should be working. No more of that. I'll probably take my lunch earlier, so that may help me keep the flow through the afternoon. I also got a great pair of wireless headphones for the holidays, so I'll use those to stay focused. Also, limited lunches out, day trip activities, long phone calls ...

3. Clean every day. Even if only for 20 minutes, I will clean or organize or throw out something in here. It's become essential for happy living.

4. Cook during the week. R really deserves a break, so I'll take up at least some of the cooking. [This may be the hardest to keep up.]

5. Read more for pleasure, and read books others have given me. I've started this already, and it feels good. I'm reading one novel a friend gave me last year, and I'll try to read throughout the week before bed. I even took another book to the DMV and read a third while waiting in R's car with him for inspection! Way to use my time!!

6. Spend more time outside.* R and I used to walk in a certain park all the time, and I know this helped me think creatively and feel more spiritual, more connected, so I want to get out more.

7. Keep in closer contact with friends. More letters, email, cards, and meetings. Not much is more important to me than the relationships in my life.

8. Expand my knowledge. Take classes, read books, do whatever to gain experience, ideas, information, skills.

8. Continue to work on the old goals: Eat right; exercise; be compassionate, patient, and charitable; express thoughts of appreciation and compliments

*Borrowed from Schizo's list last year and modified.


This list may be expanded later, but for now this covers it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter