Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Monday, September 17, 2007


I just now read that Brett Somers passed away on Saturday at the age of 83. I'm so sad to hear this, especially after recently losing Charles Nelson Reilly.

I eat lunch from 2 to 3 every weekday for the sole purpose of watching the Match Game rerun on GSN network at 2:30. It is the best game show ever, and it makes me laugh every single time. They were all so quick and funny, and Gene Rayburn was a great host.

I just read this from an interview in Playbill:


When asked why she thinks "Match Game" is still so popular today, Somers paused and then answered, "Because of the fact that there was no structure to it. It was just six people having a good time and teasing one another. There was never any meanness. And people really sensed when Charles [Nelson Reilly] would jerk his head and go, 'She seems a little odd today' — they knew there was no meanness in it. And Gene was the greatest straight man who ever lived. He would ask you the questions and would set it up for you. He was wonderful. And I think the relaxation of the atmosphere." And, does she get residuals from the show, which airs several times a day around the country? "Not a goddamn penny!" she laughed.

...

I posed one final question to the outgoing performer with the distinctive gravelly tones: When people hear your name, what would you like them to think? Her answer: "I would like them to think that I gave them pleasure and joy."


You always did, Brett!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter