Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

No one should fear that I'll be posting every day now that I am working at home ... but I just wanted to say how much I hate computers. Or maybe I should say that I find much joy in a quick, powerful WORKING computer but pure choler for a computer that decides to crap out. That computer happens to be my "relatively" new, well-stocked computer. The one that for the past 6 months or more rebooted constantly, especially when I was about to save something important or read a work e-mail message or send something to someone. I tried many tricks I read on boards and heard from friends in the field. Tonight we had a posse here to try the old System Restore disk as one of our last resorts, and of course my old faithful kept rebooting during the system restore. This led me to start thinking of all kinds of new words that I could spit at it, but in the end I was just too worn out to spit or even whisper. I have determined that it must be a teenage girl computer with lots of hormonal issues and misdirected crankiness. Those are just the vibes I get.

Next we will try replacing the power supply, and then if that does not work, I am calling the company for more of their suggestions (the first was to system restore, and that worked well, didn't it?). Knock on wood, I do have a backup computer now, so I am working on that in the meantime. I did transfer all my files to that system through my flash drive, so at least all is not lost. Otherwise I'd be curled up under the covers with no plans to come out. Did I mention that computers make me crazy?

I also must say that my access to a new and good Mac (on which I write this right now) has not convinced me to go over to one myself for a permanent next system. I can't stand the keyboard commands (perhaps adjustable), and my freelance work is harder for me with this system. Without going into detail, I just work better on a PC.

In any case, I was able to get more done on my second day working at home. And tomorrow I should be in full swing.

1 Comments:

  • At Sat Mar 10, 10:58:00 AM, Blogger Schizohedron said…

    What is it with my friends' computers? First yours, and now Felix is facing the replacement of his 3-year-old box. I half-expect to see wisps of smoke emit from between the keys of mine now! I hope yours is listening to reason and, if not, the backup is hanging in strong.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter