Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Sunday, January 04, 2004

So I looked for a good while for the Chinese jar kids and I found nothing. I didn't go to the university library though, so that is the next step. Perhaps this is all fiction to begin with? Who knows. It sounds good though. Could still be written.

I am going to decide this week whether to enter a chapbook context. Entry fee is $20. I'll investigate the quality of the press first I guess and then decide. I think I should enter regardless since I have to jump start submissions this year. Or maybe I should check if there are better ones going on this month. My poetry group meeting is sunday so I should have a plan on submissions to present to them by then.

I finished Russell's The Sparrow this weekend. I hope my reading group doesn't lynch me for suggesting this. It just wasn't what I expected, although it will bring about some good discussion I bet. Serves me right for suggesting something before I read it myself. I think I'll add a comment to Amazon about it. I am trying to do that more often for books I read now. Why not.

Time for
My Favorite Spam of the Day: I wish it were summer

First, I am impressed with the proper grammar that Letitia Snyder used in this message. Rarely does this happen with spam. Second, I can't echo this sentiment, Letitia. When winter in the Northeast equates to 50-degree days, I know we're in trouble. Basically, as I see it, hot and humid summers suck more than warm winters. And I hate warm winters.

Let's refer to the NRDC web site about global warming: " ... if we don't curb our emissions of heat-trapping gasses like carbon dioxide, temperatures will rise between 5 and 10 degrees Fahrenheit over the next century. That increase will cause, for example, alpine meadows in the Rocky Mountains to disappear, sugar maple trees to vanish in the Northeast, and greater risk from storm surges in the Southeast. Rising temperatures will also exacerbate water shortages (especially in the West) and cause New York City to steam in the summer like Atlanta does now." Peachy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter