Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Sunday, December 07, 2003

Well, as far as the "gelling," I did come up with a poem first draft of the car ride experience. I hope I can get something together with it (or another) by Friday when I have a reading. I'd like to read something new.

In walking around a mall today I thought of writing a poem about my father and his uncertaintly of the actual date of his birth, how that has affected him. Not sure if that will work. I am about to type out my notes on the disappointment of seeing my hometown go to pot.

Two nice moments at the mall, making me feel better about the state of humanity today:

1. R and I came upon a small child (2 or 3) standing alone at the entrance to a store, looking out at the fast-flowing people stream. We slowed as we went into the store, and we looked for the parents but couldn't identify them or anyone with the child. So we hovered for a minute and watched the child turn in circles, stoic, not panicky. After another minute, a man stopped and pointed to ask if we were with the child. Then another man stopped and asked the same thing. So we all stood watching the boy, wondering what to do next, when the crazed dad came out of the store looking for his son and then saw him and wrangled him in. It made me feel good to know that there are other people out there who actually pay attention.

2. At the crowded food court we sat at a small table next to a high-school couple. When they got up to leave, the boy wished us happy holidays. Wow. Isn't it sad to find that someone that age making a nice statement like that makes such an impression? It was like a moment from a 1950s novel.

Until later ... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter