Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Saturday, November 03, 2007

This might happen to you too. From time to time, when I wake up I have a line of something in my head, like the first line of a poem or a line from a song. When this happens, I take note of the words and then read through the whole song or passage or poem to see why my semiconscious mind has thrown those particular words up to my conscious surface to bob around. Maybe it is only to get some air. In any case, I feel that there must be a reason for it, so I hunt for one.

This morning it was "When one has lived a long time alone," of course referencing the poem by Galway Kinnell. Maybe, because we are in autumn, I am thinking of poems I relate to autumn, having always seen Kinnell in autumn. Or maybe it is that I slept alone last night, the first time sleeping alone here in the house since my husband became my husband, but of course "long time" doesn't apply, although other references and lines might, if I could read the poem. But I can't read the poem, apparently, because my Kinnell books do not have this poem in them. Strange. I have heard him read this poem live a number of times, and I really like it, so why I would not own it in a collection baffles me. During a quick search, I didn't find it on the Internet, but I didn't think I would, as reprinting poems online is usually chancy. Humph.

Well, I will read the poem as soon as I can and try to see what this is all about. Probably nothing, but maybe something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter