Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Friday, August 10, 2007

I read this today and it reminded me that I really like what I do and, damn it, it is important. If I can prevent one character from magically and mistakenly going from jeans to shorts in the same scene or another character from changing eye color without having inserted those scary contacts, I'm a happy camper. Of course, I did talk with a fellow freelancer today about how I often appreciate the dry facts of academic nonfiction, where you don't have to keep that long style sheet of who is who and what is what, where style application and proper grammar and matching cites and references reign. A fiction editor is very different from a nonfiction editor, and sometimes for me it's hard to do both in one day. It takes a real mental switch. Or a decent break for chocolate between gigs. ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter