Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Saturday, August 18, 2007


Don't get me wrong ... I really like MSNBC and watch it regularly—almost every day, in fact. But lately I've been noticing that many updates to regular stories are being listed as BREAKING NEWS with its bright red label to bring me over to the TV, interrupting my work. Of course, I assume that there is something urgent happening. That's a logical interpretation. Yesterday, one of the pieces of BREAKING NEWS was that Michael Vick would need to put in a plea by the end of the day. Now, perhaps I'm not up on modern journalism, but this is not my idea of something that warrants a BREAKING NEWS label, causing me to get whiplash as I crane from the other side of the room. In fact, as the months of being home have gone on, I find myself looking less at these BREAKING NEWS pop-ups, assuming it will be a Lindsay or Paris or Britney update. So I am asking MSNBC to start using the BREAKING NEWS pop-up carefully. Tragic miner loss, okay. Peruvian earthquake just happened, certainly. But undeservingly rich animal killer update, not so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter