Illumination: The Fyrefly Jar Weblog

The journal of a new mom and freelance editor who blogs about both when she has the time!

Friday, December 05, 2008

Things are getting very scary in the publishing world ... been following the changes and layoffs through contacts I have and through Publishers Weekly. (This article, for example, which talks of things that directly affected a client.) My Listserv called it Black Wednesday, and it seems true. This article was also rather cheery regarding pay freezes.

It's all made me grateful for the work and contacts that I have; because journals are rather lucrative, I feel that my work is probably generally safe. (*gulp* I hope.) But of course, as a freelancer, I must grow and change and keep my eyes open. I can't put off taking some editing courses any longer; next time they come up I'll be registering. I'll also have to go back to assessing my workload, checking on new opportunities when available, and so on.

2009 should be very interesting!!

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Dec 05, 07:21:00 PM, Blogger Tex said…

    I'm with you on this one. It's getting a bit unnerving, really! December is usually a very busy time for me, and although I don't hear crickets just yet, things don't seem to be quite as busy as I'm used to! I'm hoping my annual mass mailing to client offices of cheerful holiday "thank you for your business" cards will help drum up some more projects in the next few weeks and into the New Year! And yes, long live journals!

     
  • At Mon Dec 08, 02:52:00 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Oh, you reminded me to send my cards, thank you! :) And I just sent my resume out in response to a posting I saw online ... we'll see what happens. Can't hurt to try for the new year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter